Friday 26 June 2015

Bralette Ideas


This week I've been drafting myself a pattern for a bralette top, using an old bra as a starting point. It's a bit of a brief post today as I've spent so much time doing it, but I plan to have it all figured out next week, perhaps with a tutorial for you to try at home! 




Don't you hate it when the underwires stick out?


As this one fits me pretty well I chose this one to cut up (I find that if you wait until your bra is truly falling off your back, it doesn't fit you right anymore and you need a new one!) I thought that if I used an old one I'd have to change the pattern more, which meant extra unnecessary faff.


After cutting the bra up, I marked all the pieces out on paper.


(My hair was wet when I was making this pattern, trust me!)


I pretty much traced all of my shapes off of the original bra. I made sure to push the underwire back in to get the curve right. After all, the cup and the setting of it is the hardest part here, and I think that's where most of the trouble will show when I sew it. I'm making a mock up before hand, but am expecting to make quite a few aliterations after that.



Calculations! Needed to make sure I wasn't going to have to hold my breath to fit this thing on!


After a few hours a pattern seemed to emerge. Please don't ask me what's on the wall - I have no clue! It wasn't there one day and it was the next.

I've only given myself back pieces at the sides, as I was fancying making myself a version of a top I made for my Foundation Final Major project last month. 


I really liked the lace up aspect of this top and how effective the pattern looked against skin. I knew that if I wanted the simplicity of this particular back I would need to make a built in bra within the top, as I thought that the usual bra strap across the back would ruin the effect, and I don't like wearing tape for everyday wear.

I can't wait to get started on my new project! If you fancy sketching out your own croquis to design on why not check out my post on fashion sketching?

Happy sewing!

Toni

No comments: