Saturday 20 June 2015

Every Dog has his Day!


So if you follow me on Twitter you know that the other week I found a gorgeous doggy fabric on eBay. The link is here, if you want some! I'm a huge dog lover and I've been looking for a pretty fabric that doesn't look like a dog's photo has been printed on it, as who wants someone else's dog on their pillows? Not to mention I don't think my Labs would take to them, either!

The big issue here was that I only ordered a metre of it. Not having decided what I was going to use it for I got a small amount in case I didn't like the size of the print or if the colour was different to the picture, which is sometimes the case with buying stuff online. 


Fortunately Mum magicked two cushion fillers out of thin air (from Dunelm Mill!) and they were an appropriate size for the width of my fabric. Seen as the print was quite big I decided to match it up, with a dog in the centre of each cushion.

I decided to put a zip in to match - with cushions and pencil cases etc I normally use a zipper foot to put the zip in but with I tend to put the stitches on the inside of the cushion. Then turn the cushion the right way out and press the fabric away from the zip like normal. 


Unfortunately, as I cut my fabric in one large rectangle I knew there would be mishaps in the pattern. Normally these would occur at the edges if the fabric was cut in two squares, but due to me having limited room one doggy seems at a bit more of a loss than others!


Apart from that, in this photo you can see my zip better here. It's close to the teeth and neat but not fussy, and it doesn't matter if your stitches are slightly wonky, as no one will see them!



Time to get those corners perfectly pressed! The good thing about cutting your fabric in a long rectangle is that you only have one seam allowance to cope with (on the right in the above photos) which folds under perfectly, without all the extra seam allowance you get with sewing two squares together.


Hey presto! Within no time my cushions were sewn, pressed and on the bed. Pretty, right? Not bad for an hour's work.

Can't get enough upholstery fabric? Check out my daisy skirt too!

Toni

No comments: