Friday 5 June 2015

Summer is Coming!


I'm sewing myself a skirt - that must mean summer is around the corner, right?


After a crazy couple of weeks filled with crazy seam-stressing, photoshoots and face paint I finally have enough free time before my art deadline to get on with the daisy skirt. See last week's post here.


These are the ideas I sketched out last week imagining where the bias binding would go on the final garment. That quickly changed when I bought this wonderful braiding I got from Fred's Haberdashery in Chesterfield Market.


I am a huge fan of braiding - if I had it my way all my jackets would have at least a bit on - and I've always wanted one of the ringleader-esque ones that's red and double fronted...anyway, I'm getting distracted.

I got the braiding from one of the bargain baskets for a pound and there's a lot of it. Another reason why I chose this over the binding is that the binding was only two meters long! This baby has enough for me to have two loops of it at the bottom (one at the hem and one along the top of the black strip) to trim down both side seams and all four 'princess lines' with some left over. I might put a bit on the bottom of the waistline. Then I might not, as the challenge of this sew was to not make myself look like a curtain.

Ah well.


I'm currently pinning down from the back darts to get my fake 'princess lines'. I was originally going to draft the pattern with proper princess seams, but then I remembered I only bought myself enough of this fabric to do the simplest skirt possible, allowing for pattern matching.

Really excited to get this done and wear this skirt! Have you had any fantastic trimming outcomes? Or any trimming disasters? Let me know in the comments below!

Toni

No comments: