Saturday 31 January 2015

Tutorial - Menswear Sleeve Alteration

So I wear a lot of men's clothing as they fit me better in the arms and are normally longer in the body. I confess though, the sleeves really annoy me. They're normally annoying lengths and flap about a lot, so I'm using my Fifteen Eleven shirt to show you lot how to update your sleeves. Ready?

So first you need to unpick your sleeves. Personally I would advise not to cut them off as you lose your seam allowances, but it's your shirt, so it's your rules! (Blogger seems to be having a party at the moment, so the pictures are all over the place, sorry!)


Fold your sleeves in half, if they're jersey they should be symmetrical. 


Place on a A4 sheet and draw around it.


I marked the fold line on my sleeve an inch or so above, as I wanted my sleeve shorter than the original sleeves on the shirt. Now is the time you need to change your sleeves if you want it flared or seamed or whatever, there's some ideas on the Internet, if you're really stuck here's a photo out of my block book, I really hope this isn't copyright!



Make your alterations to your sleeves then add your seam allowances. Then, cut your new sleeves!


You'll need two of them of course! See the side seam first and press. Then attach the sleeve head onto the shirt. If you iron the sleeve in half you get a crease, and this is what you pin to your shoulder seam.



Pin your sleeve seam to your underarm seam, and pull the shirt through the sleeve like in the picture below. I call this 'the squid stage' as I think it looks like one!


Pin around the rest of the sleeve, and then to the sewing machine!


Sew around the sleeve head and turn inside out. Press your sleeve head and around the seam you've just sewn.


Turn your shirt inside out and pin up your sleeve.


Then sew!


Cut your threads, press, and you're done!


Wear your new shirt with pride, knowing you've altered it yourself!

Toni

No comments: