Thursday 8 January 2015

Quilted Cushions

So to go with my recently painted room I bought some new bedding to match the colour scheme - but most of my old cushion covers are looking a bit tatty now or they don't match, I mean I love them and I will keep them, but as it's a new year, I'm sort of in the mood for something new, you know?

Last year I was given some gorgeous fat quarters by my friend Lily and her mum and I have some scraps to use up, so I thought I'd make myself some more covers for them. I love the quilted look but have only done a few things and I'm not too confident in getting it just right, so I wanted something a little more lopsided.

I am inspired by these two images I found on Pinterest, this first one is from Zen Cat Art.



And the second from needlework,craftgossip.com


They're a little bit floral for me, but they're still pretty! Very happy that quilting produces something wonderful as well as using up all your scraps...ain't it good? 

The method is pretty simple, you sew two small pieces of fabric together, press, then sew another one on the side at an angle, press, and carry on. Once you've made your desired shape, pin and quilt onto your backing fabric. It's also easy to use up your bits of ribbon and lace by sewing them on as you go. 

This is the colour scheme I'm working with - I've got three pinks, a grey, two yellows and a patterned - I think it's best if you choose your patterned fabric first and pick your colours out of that.



I started by sewing two small pieces together.



Add a third at an angle, and another starting to go around the shape, I was aiming for a spiral.

 

It grows pretty fast, actually. I tried to make sure that the surface was flat as I sewed, but unfortunately I forgot to cut the selvedges off the brocade so the selvedge shrunk and made it all wrinkly...which I only realised after I'd sewn the next one in...that made me sad.





I added some lace too-looking at all these swirly shapes is making me dizzy now!



(Now very conscious that my naked mattress is on the web for all to see-don't worry folks, I don't actually sleep with no bed clothes, they're in the wash at the moment, I swear!)



This is it so far (that wrinkly pink is really annoying me, is it annoying anyone else?!) I want two of them and this one is not quite finished...so it seems I've got a lot of sewing to do.

Has anyone else started a quilting project in the New Year? Anyone want to share some genius quilting tips? All are welcome!

Toni

No comments: