Wednesday 18 March 2015

Alterations - The Kilt Gets A Makeover

So a week or so ago I inherited a lovely kilt from my friend Jenny (thank you!) which smells funny and really needs a wash. I think it's a man's as it comes to my knees, so as I'm pretty tall I think this would be he appropriate length for a bloke.


The pleats were sewn down about six inches from the waistband - this was unflattering on a woman's skirt and so I was going to reduce them to roughly my waist to hip measurement - but I got a bit unpicker happy whilst watching the #GBSB and accidentally undid many to the waistband...



So that's how it stayed! I lopped off about eight inches to take it to mid thigh and hand stitched the hem, which made me realise just how many pleats there are in kilts - it took me about an hour to do it properly. 


I could get into it just if I held my tummy in a bit, but I was honest with myself about the comfort factor and decided to move the buckle so I could breathe properly in it whilst wearing it. 


Hand stitching leather is always fun!


A final press of the hem and pleats and it was all ready to wear, despite being a bit smelly and needing a wash.


I'm pretty bad at taking iPad selfies in the mirror, so I got my mum to take a photo of me to better show the skirt. Thanks mum! 


This has to have been the quickest and the most successful alteration I have ever done, and I didn't even use a sewing machine! Plaid is rapidly becoming one of my favourite patterns and I really hope I can find some summery checks to work with in the springtime. 

I love how easy it is to change an item of men's clothing into something for a girl, and I would do it a lot more if I had the clothing to hand as I'm not one for wearing pink ruffles and I like the patterns used in men's clothing. 

What's been your most successful alteration to date? I would love to see some photos, please send them to tartantonaay@gmail.com.

Toni

No comments: