Wednesday 18 February 2015

I'm Having Some Tall Girl Problems Here. Any Help?

Any ideas would be much appreciated...I bought a skirt and have no idea what to do with it!


So last week I managed to rip my only bodycon jersey skirt - you know the ones, they're sold by many of the high street giants, cost you under a tenner and are great to wear if you want your legs out* but still want to be comfy. Now this is where I have a little problem. Well, in the case of last week, then I had two.


Number One - I had just ripped my only (but very loyal and long serving) black bodycon skirt. 
Number Two - *being nearly six foot I normally have quite a lot more than my legs out, and there's not enough fabric in the hems for it to be worth me letting down the hems in the bought ones.

Number Three - I don't have enough to time to a) draft a pattern that actually fits me or b) sew the said skirt at the moment, as I have a humongous art deadline to meet and I'm working more shifts at work as we're short staffed...and so I thought, with renewed hope, that surely somewhere I could find a jersey skirt that wouldn't flash my knickers to the world - well, except the below the knee ones, but that's part of the next paragraph - and unfortunately it turns out the world isn't ready for tall girls not wanting to flash their knickers whilst in a skirt. I apologise.

My next thought was to buy something that I could very quickly fix. I looked around and (yet again!) ended up in H&M, which is where I normally go for my jersey skirt. After rummaging in the sale, I ended up with this one of those stupidly long skirts for 8 pounds. (Who can actually pull those things off? Genuinely, if you can, send me a photo and you will be my new God!)


I was so happy, it would fit me on the waist, which was awesome, but my enthusiasm quickly ended when I tried it on - I'd love to have the picture of me in it but my camera on my phone doesn't work, sorry guys - how does anyone look good in these things?

My annoyance at the high street quickly returned, and I was half way back to the shelf to return it when it hit me - this is why I started Toni Sews - because I cannot get anything to fit me - I'm good at sewing clothes for tall people - so surely I could make this work?

I bought it and now it's been hung up in my room waiting for inspiration to hit it, but since last week it hasn't...so I was wondering if you lot had any ideas? I know I'm going to cut it off partway so it's a mini length like my original, but I will still have some fabric left over (I'm not that tall!) and I have no idea what to do with it.

I've drawn a blank, so it'd be great if you had any ideas.

Thanks, 

Toni

No comments: